Friday, 1 October 2010
Another new month has arrived and im already wondering where this will be in 31 days from now. I certainly dont want another day like this one as its rained, rained and rained some more, then when I thought it was finished it realy rained.
Water is supposed to be on the outside but almost half the bilge area has water in it. I found out that the flexible acrylic sealant I was advised to bed the window frames in with doesnt work.
Its actually water based, which makes me wonder how the hell it can be water proof. At the moment, it resembles runny yoghurt and is about as much use as soggy rice paper. To add insult to injury, its stripped the red oxide paint off the steelwork
This means I have to wait for a nice dry day, take them out, clean them up, paint and replace with sealant which is more reliable. Regular silicone has never let me down.
Anyway, on Wednesday I ordered 3 packs of paving blocks, total weight 3.75 tons, 1404 bricks in total for the bilge ballast. I finished cutting back the insulation and cleaning up the mess, over 12 bags of it, but its a once only job so I dont mind. Yesterday I got the timbers bolted to the scantlings and was back at work early this morning to tighten all of the 83 bolts.
Then the bricks arrived and I had no sooner got the forklift and taken the window out and it started to rain more heavily.
I managed to unload and lay the first pack of bricks before I was totally soaked to the skin, so I sat in the car with the heater running to warm up and dry out a little. The day was a washout, the kind of rain that comes up with the tide so I departed for Hereford to collect some bits and pieces.